Still dreaming about travel…
It’s been a while since I last posted, but I really struggled to figure out what I was going to do with this blog once my European adventure ended. But I know that writing is something that I love to do, and travelling is something I’m so passionate about. There are too many stories to share and pictures to post that I can’t just abandon this blog. :)
Life back in Vancouver has been a tough adjustment. Not only do I have to get used to staying in the city during the weekends, but I also took on a full-time job that restricts the amount of travel I can do each year. 2012 saw me take 3 months worth of trips. 2013 will likely see me take 3 weeks. :| It will be hard, but it just means that I have to make the most of each opportunity.
Luckily, there are opportunities to travel internationally with my new job. I’m not sure where it will take me, but it’s not unusual for people here to go to Dubai, Korea, Pakistan, Russia, Japan, and all parts of Europe. So I’m keeping my fingers crossed that I’ll get to go on one or two trips each year. :)
I don’t know if anything I do will ever top living in Germany for a year. I saw 18 different countries and have hundreds of memories that I will never forget. But I’m still daydreaming and still thinking about my next trip.
Here are my top 5 travel destinations:
- Kenya – Ever since I was a kid, I’ve always had a fascination with Kenya and Tanzania. It started with my interest in anthropology, and later on, hiking and climbing. My ideal trip would see me attempt to summit Kilimanjaro, go on a safari, and take a boat to Zanzibar for some relaxation.
- Nepal – I’ve done initial research into long(ish) hikes in the Nepal region. I’d love to spend some time in Kathmandu, visit some remote areas of the country, and do a 2 or 3-week trek through the mountains.
- Peru – I want to hike Machu Picchu.
- Russia/Mongolia – Visit Moscow and St. Petersburg, then do the Trans-Siberian Railway to Mongolia.
- Antarctica – This trip will likely have to wait until I have a ton of cash lying around, because this is going to be expensive! I want to see wildlife, and also check out the gorgeous landscape in person.
The most likely scenario will see me travel to Kenya in 2014. I’d like to spend 3-4 weeks there, but it will really depend on my vacation time and other factors like… who’s going to come with me (if anyone)?
What are your top travel destinations right now?
Krystal Yee is a travel blogger and personal finance expert with substantial media credits to her name. Lover of off-beat travel, hiking, French macarons, barefoot shoes, and her iPhone. Excel spreadsheet addict. She is currently living in Vancouver, plotting her next adventure.